Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Introduction


I live with my husband and two teenagers on a small "pretend" hobby farm in country Australia. We have dogs, cat, three horses, 15 chooks and a pair of geese. I will be writing about the everyday stuff that happens with the family and animals that inhabit our property.

Until about four years ago I would ride my Waler horse when she and I had a difference in opinion as to which direction we would ride. The last thing I remember thinking is "She is going to throw me!!" I have no recollection of the accident but woke up eyeballing the grass. I felt quite "out of it" and my ribs hurt like hell. After establishing that I could move my legs etc I got up and caught my "piece of poop" of a horse (not the exact words I used at the time). She was grazing not far from me and I rode her very gently home because my ribs were not happy little campers.

Long story short I received a minor brain injury. Although only minor the brain injury has had long term affects on my life. I was unable to work or drive for six months and had a lot of difficulty with problem solving, short term memory, temperature control and fatigue(the big one). Before you have a mental hernia I was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident and always wore it when I rode.

Four years later I am only able to work 10.5 hours per week and still need to have my afternoon sleep but most of the other problems are now minimal. My fatigue is life changing but I have adjusted to the limitations quite well I think.

I had a counsellor with the local brain injury rehabilitation service and she told me I was one of the best at handling my disability she has seen. Just my luck, I have to have a brain injury to excel at something.

But all is good with my little part of the world. I still have that piece of poop of a horse and I love her. I do not ride but we talk quite often.

Will write again soon. Keep smiling.

No comments: