Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Brain Injury - Happy 5th Anniversary


Wow, FIVE years since I did a head plant into the long grass of the paddock with the assistance of my Piece of Poop. I only realised it half way through the morning and then it made me smile. I told my friends when I realised what day it was and that it had been an exercise in attention seeking and an inexplicable need to have six months off work. They totally agreed.

I remember the first six months after the injury I found each monthly anniversary upsetting. I was not accepting my limitations very well. When I was able to begin work, be it in very small increments, I found my lack of amazing progress upsetting.

My first year anniversary since the accident was a shock. How can this injury still be affecting me? My second anniversary was, for some reason, more upsetting. Perhaps it seemed so much more permanent. I knew it was imminent so I arranged for a big family and friend BBQ and tennis day in the country to coincide with the fateful day. We had the best fun and the most laughs and one of my friends even bought out a 'Brain Cake' with two candles alight. It had lots of apricot halves, cut side down, on top to represent brains. My day passed with lots of happiness instead of tears. From then on it became easier.

There was some things I learnt on that second anniversary.

* Yes I have a mild disability but I am not disabled, I am not dead and I sure as hell will not let the brain injury stop me from living my life.

* Surrounding yourself with people who have a positive impact on your life is a smart move. I am not alone. I have friends and family that are important to me and I to them.

* Self pity is unhelpful, unproductive and a waste of time.

* Look ahead, not behind and if you do look behind learn from it and grow.

* Deep and meaningful lists must come to an end. I am all out!

That day was significant also because it was the first time the Young Negotiator had thrown a teenage hissy-fit. It was mild and short lived but his anger was passionate. His father snapped back at him and it was over. The Young Negotiator did not speak to us for the 15 minutes it took to get to town but by then it was forgotten and everyone happy. I remember I was shocked and then secretly impressed and had a secret smile when I thought about it. He has had a couple of very mild teenage outbursts, at the most three, and they hardly make the Richter scale. I have joked with him about it and he takes it very well. I know, we are lucky.

But I digress. This post is all about me, me, me. I had morning tea with my ex-brain injury counsellor today. It was lovely and my inspiration for this post. We still keep in contact and I always come away from our meetings feeling good about myself. Thank you to all my friends and family who make me feel good. You are a treasure. (Not to be buried, ha ha).

No comments: