Thursday, March 11, 2010

RIP Boris ......Ya' bully

Boris had to have his head removed from his body. My most naked necked of naked neck roosters became aggressive, but only with me. I raised him and his siblings from about 15 days old, fed them, cared for them, took their baby photos. Out of five chicks we ended up with four roosters. What are the chances eh? We gave one away which left us with three. Two more had to go but I was actually going to keep Boris. Until one day I turned my back on him and I felt a 'thump' on the back of my leg and turned around and there he was standing up to me. I ignored it once but it became a recurring thing. I was nervous around him. He would even run, in the way only a naked neck can run (which is quite funny), across the paddock to have a go at me. I did try walking purposely towards him but he would not back down.

Little featherless *^%#@~*! He had to go. That was a job for the Lovely Husband. He does not like it at all, poor bugger, but all is peace and tranquility again.


The young negotiator (my teenage son) tells me that he was not attacked because he is the alpha chicken. He does have the poultry following him every evening to put them away, it is very cute. The shirtless wonder with his earphones in his ears totally oblivious to the chickens and geese following adoringly to receive their share of scraps and grain.

We still have Norris and Frank. Frank has to find a new home but there is no hurry. Both roosters are well behaved. The teenagers have named the naked neck hen Steve. They say it is a rugged, tough name. She is the smallest of all the hens (I think she is a bantam) but the fastest out the door when it is opened and the first to get to the scraps/grain. She is a real chicken!

No comments: