Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Goose v Dog


Our FIVE goslings are growing madly. I said four in a previous post but obviously I cannot count. The parents are very protective of them but seem more or less harmless. Unfortunately Roger the Cyclone-on-Legs decided he wanted the same food I had put down for the geese and a fight ensued. Mother goose Fanny was badly bitten on her leg by our "never back down, never surrender" staffy. She would have been defending her babies. Her leg was very badly bitten down to the bone/ligaments and there was blood on her, me and the grass. Now don't think me heartless but she is a farm animal and I did not take her to the vet. I washed it with warm salt water and bandaged it. I Googled for advice and rewrapped it with the addition of honey (apparently excellent for wound healing). Unfortunately the leg became swollen and hot in the next 24 hours - damn it, infection city! Roger has cost us more in vet bills for his victims than he has on himself.

I told the vet nurse she would laugh when I rang and she asked if the goose had a name. No she said she would not, yes you will. Her name is Fanny. The nurse laughed. In fact the entire surgery laughed when the news spread that Fanny goose was coming in. Fanny was such a good patient. Absolutely terrified she spent her time on the examination table with her head tucked into my armpit, which would have to be a fairly desperate thing to do. It did not look good the vet said. It was on the joint. She would have to do some research on dosage and which antibiotic to prescribe.

Long story short (I know, not my forte), Fanny is home and on pain relief and antibiotic injections. Getting some pretty good attention for a farm animal eh? We developed a routine of catching Bruce Gander first by the neck so he cannot attack us and handing him off to the Young Negotiator. Fanny who was at first not using her damaged leg at all was easy to catch. Her leg has improved out of sight and she is now quite difficult to catch for her injection.

Yesterday the Young Negotiator and I decided to go straight for Fanny and not catch the gander first as Bruce had been reasonably well behaved. If your imagination works than you will laugh at this. I cornered the goose and was reaching for her when I felt a pain in my right hip/bum. I did not realise it was Bruce who had latched on and was not letting go. The Young Negotiator removed him with a swift kick and proceeded to double over laughing. Fanny escaped once again and I knew from the look on my son's face what had happened. My son was incapable of talking but was imitating the gander's beak with his hand. I have a small bruise to remember it by.

It takes three of us to catch Fanny now, one for the gander and two to corner her. When will this course finish? 10 days is a good long course but she is looking a lot better. Bloody Roger!

No comments: