Saturday, November 6, 2010

Karate Chop Chook

We have had chickens for about 16-17 years. All personalities and idiosyncrasies. Never in my life have I seen a hen with such an aggressive self defence mechanism. Our cute and fluffy little frizzle hen I named Sparky needs a new name. The Young Negotiator had told me she “explodes” when defending her egg laying rights but I thought he was exaggerating. You know how teens can be. Just recently I was releasing the chooks into the paddock and collecting the eggs. This sweet little girl was so low and prostate in the nest I thought she must have died so I poked her lightly. Bloody hell!! She is ninja hen, her peck/strikes were lightening fast and deadly accurate. I couldn't believe it. I tried again but again she was like Chicky Chan or Chook Norris. I grabbed an egg carton to distract her so I could check under her for eggs but even with the carton in her face she was incredible. Again the lightening strikes and silent death stare. Whoa, I was not going to collect that one tiny little egg today. It is not like she was broody/clucky either. She was just laying a bloody egg! Now there is a female who takes her job seriously.

No-one but no-one is going to move her until she is well and truly ready baby! Just imagine if she actually had chicks to defend….or a clutch of eggs. Ooh we would just have to drop her and her chicks into a war zone and she would clear the whole mess up by herself. Well, OK that is a slight exaggeration but she could certainly straighten our a school room of rebellious kids or delinquent youths. She is the Power. She is Ninja Chicken!!

No comments: