Saturday, November 6, 2010

Python in the Mango Tree




We have a mango tree just outside our bedroom window which makes it feel as if you are amongst the trees and keeps the room cool in summer. One afternoon at the end of my nana nap I heard a small bird carrying on…….and on and on. After what felt like ages I got up out of bed to investigate this very annoying chatter. Oh right, a carpet snake climbing up the branches probably heading for the birds’ (there were two of them) nest. Photo opportunity!

I grab my camera from cupboard, glasses from case, shove on shoes and hat and am out the back door to capture said snake on film, actually on chip…or whatever is in a digital. After approaching the tree carefully I begin my search. The tree is slightly different from the ground obviously but for the life of me I cannot find the snake. I am under the canopy, wandering, looking but no snake. The birds meanwhile have scarpered.

I was just about to give up on my search for the python when there was a “thud” in the low hanging branches in front of me. OH *%$#@*&! The ruddy great bugger was in front of me at chest height lying perfectly still. I managed to leap back without landing on my behind (a surprise in itself) and be clear of him/her. I think it was warning me it was there, amazing really. Anyhoo, it began climbing the tree then. I was sure it should have been higher of the ground.

Photos managed, I left it to its evil plan. I am not frightened of snakes at a safe distance but this was within arm’s length and not where I intended to be. Don’t you love the country? Always something happening.

No comments: