Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gap Year Soldier

The Young Negotiator, as I have said, is having a gap year next year.  And, it turns out, he has applied for a gap year with the ADF (Australian Defence Force).  I had no idea such a thing existed and am totally surprised at his decision.  Don't get me wrong, the Lovely Husband and I think it would be very good for him but I think he is going in to it with rose coloured night vision goggles on.  When the Young Negotiator looked it up initially I don't think he got past the dollar signs before he decided that this was for him.  Yes they pay well, he receives accommodation and food, medical and comradeship.  All that is great.  He gets to leave home but will not run out of rent money, will not go hungry and can afford to see a doctor or dentist. But, the army do get their pound of flesh out of you too, and that is what the Young Negotiator is choosing not to see.  They have to go through the full-on army training both physical and mental.  They may have to be on duty for 7 days at a time, all hours.  They may be deployed within the country or overseas if the Australian Army is needed in an emergency situation; natural disaster or humanity.  All this for an 18 year old who barely gets his school work done, does not have a natural 'hurrying' bone is his body and likes to relax in front of the computer or game consul.  Assuming he gets in he is in for one hell of a shock. 

I have advised him to read the whole story online but you know teenagers, details are not necessary apparently.  "It'll be right.".  It'll be right alright.  He will not know which way his head is.... although I have been known to underestimate my children.  Maybe this is one of those times.  Perhaps in that skinny, sloth like frame is a tiger ready to leap out and take on the Australian Army with all guns blasting.  At the moment the earphones are surgically attached to his ears and the only thing blasting is his music.  Maybe his hours of gaming will transfer to the field and he will be brilliant at tactics and war games, assuming they give him five lives and he gets to choose an exaggeratedly fantastic weapon with the push of a button. 

Aah, sarcasm.  It is my own weapon against worry.  I hope he gets accepted.  I hope he gets something out of it like pride and self discipline, mateship and motivation.  I will, of course, worry about him and miss him and hope that he is happy. 

No comments: