Monday, May 28, 2012

Damaged Greyhound


 This poor greyhound has had a bad week.  Our dogs are inside at night while we watch TV and every now and then they go out for a bark and a wee.  One night recently Layla came back in looking a wee bit subdued (which for a greyhound is nothing new) but she was even more so.  Then I noticed the blood dripping on the floor.  Ooh 'eck I says, or something like that anyway.  I think she had had a run in with a possum or something.  Under her left eye was about a 1cm cut but under her right eye, and I mean just underneath her right eye, there was a cut for the full length of her eye!  She had some skin off her muzzle as well but compared to the other injuries they did not matter.
I was a veterinary nurse in the 80s for about four years so out comes the First Aid Kit, cotton balls, home made saline and drag my teen son out of bed (he was the only other person home) and we convened in the laundry (aka ER).  I had to clean out the wounds, apply pressure to stop bleeding and then bandage to hold her face together.  She could barely see because of my work and she tried to remove said bandage too.  I made up a bucket for her head and she went to bed that night looking mighty funky.
The next day I took her to the vet for stitches and the bucket had to stay on for 10 days until I removed these stitches and she is now free.  Her modelling days are over though.
Layla no longer chooses to go out at night for a bark and a wee.  She stays in and minds the fort.  The middle picture is her waiting patiently for the cat to finish drinking before she has a turn.  Such a polite Bucket Head.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: