Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Unemployed Teenager

The Young Negotiator is 18 and out of school for good.  He knows not what he wants to do with his life.  For now he needs a job, a paying job so he can live, spend, have fun and think about his future.  I have noticed the teenagers in this predicament all think they will get that job and be done with it.  We do not live near a big city.  There are many, many teenagers who left school and are looking for work, untrained and inexperienced teenagers.  Their confidence was admirable but now reality is sinking in and there are many, many unemployed teenagers.

 My answer?  Volunteer!  The Young Negotiator was told if he did not find paying work he would be doing volunteer work for charity.  He has his casual job with a large chain supermarket but the shifts are few and far between.  But three days a week he has work, two days in one Opportunity Shop and one day in another.  It took some encouragement (pushing) but it is working quite well.  In the two day a week job he is actually being trained in retail and they are very happy with him and his attitude.  They often get young people 'volunteering' because they want to continue to receive govt. benefits or for community service and their attitude can be less than enthusiastic apparently.  The Supervisors think him marvellous for volunteering (he failed to mention his pushy mother) and his confidence is building.  Even the Young Negotiator can see the benefits now.  In the one day a week Op Shop he is one of three men to go out in the furniture truck picking up and delivering second hand furniture, TVs (the older, far heavier type) and various donated goods.

The Young Negotiator is an Extreme Book Worm, Computer Gaming Freak, Card Playing Jockey.  He does not, in normal circumstances, move furniture/TVs.  This experience has been an eye opener for the skin and bones we call our son.

First Week:
"I really think they need to update their OH & S information Mum.  That stuff is heavy!" 
I remain outwardly neutral.  Inwardly I giggle at the thought of my poor young man doing hard work.

Second Week:
"I'm exhausted.  I don't know if I will keep this up.  There are some people working there who don't want to be there.  It is a bit depressing"
Aaah, welcome to the work force sunshine.

Third Week:
"I still don't like it but I think I will stick with it for the moment"
What's that?  A bit of resilience coming through?

Fourth Week:
"Look at my hands, I have calluses!!!"
Mmmm, I had them as a child from riding my bike all day.

The Young Negotiator has decided he does not want to work in the furniture moving industry.

He is learning and even admits, after direct questioning (the only way to get information), that it is a good thing.  He can definitely see the benefits and has improved his resume and his references with this experience.

I love that kid and he cracks me up but the Young Negotiator will survive the work force with a new appreciation of how lucky he is, how to get along with all kinds of people and that experience matters and calluses are not the end of the world as we know it.

No comments: