Sunday, July 18, 2010

The New Girls


I was offered some bantams from a breeder of Wyandottes I know and so yesterday I went out, armed with a carry cage to get them. He had picked out one white and one cuckoo coloured one (the black and grey speckled one) for me.

He has about 400 birds and so I enjoyed checking out the different colours and types he had, all the time he was offering me roosters. As with all of us he had excess roosters. It became a joke in the end along with his joke about me having to knit scarves for my naked necks. I did admire his frizzle hen (crossed with a wyandotte) and so he gave me that one too. Very generous man, I could have come home with at least five had I wanted to. I love the dishevelled look on the frizzle, as if she had stuck her claw in the powerpoint. I will name her Sparky in honour of her unusual feathering.

I asked him if I could put them straight in with a rooster and he said it would be fine. What sort of rooster would that be? A naked neck of course. I think he shuddered at the thought of his lovely purebreads being contaminated by that ugliest of breeds but can you imagine a frizzle x naked neck? What a vision!

No comments: