Thursday, July 15, 2010

Panic Stations Everyone!


The Young Negotiator has passed his Driver Knowledge Test and is now a Learner Driver..........yeah I know, scary huh? We had our first session in the front paddock today with lots of stalling of the motor and kangarooing in first gear. The car has quite a deep clutch pedal so it takes a bit of co-ordination, especially when stopping. Deep clutch, shallow brake and we both appreciated the seat belts! Paddock not really set up for a small car so we bounced around somewhat but we had some laughs and he managed to improve a bit. And so it starts, another era in our babies' growing up.

He was actually old enough to learn to drive one year ago, when he turned 16, but he and quite a few of his friends decided they were not ready. Another year of growing up hasn't hurt. There has been a lot of negative media stories regarding the P-plater (provisional driver) and a few fatalities regarding young people in the area. But I have to say I see a lot of older, more experienced drivers make mistakes (including myself) and I have seen many do stupid and dangerous things.

I remember when I had my P Plates it took me half a block to realise that you cannot actually watch the road and read a map at the same time. Duh! And that you shouldn't take your little Datsun 1200 Coupe (baby poop brown) through flood waters. No, really?! And whatever you do keep an eye on the petrol gauge, the fuel is not endless. We are all a bit dumb when we start out.

Wish us luck, this is number one of two teenagers to learn to drive and with 120 hours to fill in in the log book it is going to be a big year (both times).

No comments: