Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Our Comfort Zones


Does anyone else find them hard to break out of? I found it hard pre injury but damn terrifying afterwards. I was a typical teenager and young adult and regularly broke from my comfort zone with great gusto but as an older adult (I always feel strange calling myself an adult) it became quite a forced thing. Those comfort zones are so cozy and warm but best of all, predictable. Post injury they were the things anxiety attacks (mild) were made of. My short term memory dysfunction made the retaining of new information very difficult and this in turn would strip me of my confidence which would then send me into a tail-spin of anxiety and indecision. Thankfully these extremes are in the past but I still have a fairly rigid comfort zone.

I admire my friends and acquaintances that have broken out of their personal comfort zones. I have friends who have tackled a new and exciting sport or a late-onset career, study at tertiary level or university and I think to myself that they are so brave. But they are ordinary women and men. We don't have to accept life as it is, we need to be proactive and brave. There is no need to sit there in your cozy comfort zone and complain that your life is boring/unsatisfactory/wrong. Get up off your arse and do something about it. Ditch the comfort zone, one small step at a time or take a giant leap. Sometimes it will have unfortunate outcomes.....like a Piece of Poop horse that throws you head first into the ground. I had never owned a riding horse before and I had a steep learning curve. But even this can be learnt from. My life is so much richer now with the appreciation of my friends and family, of life and a collection of 'head' jokes. I have a lifetime of excuses for forgetting lunch dates/birthdays etc. Sometimes it can be all good........like my tennis lessons. I had to enrol in them twice just to retain the information but met some great people and had so much fun.

I am using the Young Negotiator's laptop again, the one without the DELETE key. Wow I am going all out today.

OK, lecture over. Have a great day!

No comments: