Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Chicken Thief Strikes Again

"Hormone" pronounced with a lousy French accent.


At the moment we have about 35 chickens and one happy, happy Faverolle rooster, Hormone.  We did have a Transylvanian Naked Neck boy (Vlad) as well but a stray dog has taken him recently.  I was a picture of ladylike behaviour NOT as I ran, in my big gumboots, across paddock and through barbed wire fence chasing the mongrel thief .  If swearing could drop him he would be a desiccated shadow of his former self but alas no, it only made him run faster.  Sigh.  The big brown kelpie x has visited our free rangers about five times now and I have had it up to pussy's bow with him.

Fortunately this is a small community and I have been making enquiries of people in the area.  I have possibly traced him to a property I will check out tomorrow.  Someone told me that someone else saw a dog with a chook in its mouth crossing their paddock so I have a direction to head in at least. Short of putting a map of the local area up on the wall, sticking coloured pins in it and calling Tommy Lee Jones to come and co-ordinate a dog-hunt, I will take persistence, gossip and a lot of luck to find the culprit.  Wish me luck.

No comments: