Wednesday, February 12, 2014

She's Ba-a-a-ck!

Yes, it has happened.  After nearly a year off from blogging I will attempt to get back into it with more regularity, just like the proverbial high fibre diet, the blogging must continue.

Updates

We have lost our lovely Layla Greyhound to a nasty lesion on her spine that paralysed her within six days of her first symptoms.  What a special dog she was.  We were heartbroken and she has left a hole in our family that still hurts sometimes.  No surprise to me that if you look hard enough there will be something funny about the dire situation.  I am sitting on the floor of the vet surgery, crying, cradling my poor greyhound's head and saying my goodbyes.  The vet sat with me and we talked about what a treasure she was as a pet and a patient.  He rose to go get the euthanasia solution drawn up and our lovely Layla, ever ready for a meal, was able to raise her head (the only movement she had) and watch him leave and I knew in my heart her thought processes were "He is off to get my food.  How much?  Doesn't matter, any food is good food".  I was able to laugh about it much later.  Her pleasures were simple.  Affection, attention, playing with Roger staffy, a good zip around the paddock and most importantly of all FOOD.

I suspect Roger felt it worst of all.  He became depressed and lethargic.  We waited for two months before applying for another rescue greyhound but there was a waiting list.  We needed a cat friendly one but so did many others.  Roger did not improve and out of desperation I acquired a free Pound Puppy of sorts, a cross bread of beautiful brown eyes and black, shiny coat.  Apparently this little waif was a Border Collie x Rottweiler....hmm right.  It transpires she is a B/Collie x Kelpie x who knows what.  I have said all along I would not get a Kelpie/cross.  Too busy, too much stimulation but of course when you are in love with your pup you don't return her do you?

Megatron Destructopuppy is our newest member of the family.  She is now seven months old and a beautiful natured beast that sometimes tests my ability to keep patience, as puppies do.  More about her later.  Roger the Dodger, it turns out, has dementia which also accounted for his strange and quiet moods.  He is 11 years old and it seems he is ageing quickly.

Farewell Layla Greyhound.

No comments: