Thursday, November 12, 2009

Baby Fruit Bat on the Wire




This is a little two week old grey headed flying fox or fruit bat. It was hanging from our power line for about 24 hours. I thought at first it was dead but the dead don't generally move and when we opened our squeaky old gate it answered and kept calling for its mum. I called WIRES, the local wildlife rescue service and they in turn called our power company who came and rescued it using a "hot stick". A long, telescoping, plastic pole with a towel wrapped around the end to represent a bat mum. The baby latched onto it and was then brought safely down to earth. It will be hand reared and eventually released by the carer. So cute and yet so ugly all at once. My daughter had named it Dracula but it turned out to be female so the carer is naming it after me. Perhaps I am cute and yet so ugly too? The Lovely Husband says that there is now two batty people of the same name in this country. Oh ha ha.

No comments: