Monday, October 18, 2010

Blind Faith or Fear?

While we were on holidays I discovered an interesting fact. My family either totally trust me or are too scared to argue.

Example 1

The Lovely Husband and I had chosen Wednesday for whale watching in our holidays. On the Monday we would be at Australia Zoo from where we would book the whale watching. This plan gave me Tuesday to recover. We all agreed it was a good plan. So-o-o what happens? We go to the booking desk on the Monday afternoon, I had not had my sleep for obvious reasons and was probably a sheep short of the top paddock. I stood there and proceeded to book our whale watching for Thursday. The Lovely Husband stood beside me confused but said nothing. We advised the kids we were all booked and they were also confused but said nothing.

In the car driving back to our room I mentioned the whale watching for Wednesday. That's when they all said something. What are you talking about says I, we agreed to go whale watching Wednesday. So why did you book it for Thursday they asked. I obviously was thinking Wednesday but my mouth said Thursday. We put is down to my fatigue of course. That is until....

Example 2

One night during our holiday we decided to have takeaway. The Young Negotiator (son) and I decided on Indian. The shops were walking distance from our room and of course I knew where I was going. It is just up here says I. So my son and I walk up the three blocks to the Indian. Huh? Not there. Must be the next block down. Still no. We will try one more block. Nup. Poopanola!! We asked a taxi driver for directions, it was the next block down. I was only three blocks out. A piddling amount really.

Example 3

On our last night of holidays at the beach we decide on fish and chips, the ultimate beach side takeaway yeah? We were on the fifth floor and the view was spectacular.... of the torrential rain and howling wind. Let's walk says I. The car space under the building was tiny and our station wagon filled it completely thus making it a juggling act to drive in and out of it. My family do not disagree with the walking idea. We had one raincoat and one large golf umbrella. With three control freaks under the golf umbrella, all knowing the best way to face the umbrella and one Lovely Husband and his raincoat we walked the three blocks to the fish and chip shop. Yeah this is a great idea mum.

On the way back I was in the lead and had control of the umbrella. Somehow, in the dark and stormy night I took the wrong turn and was walking into a car park next to the beach. My family followed me silently, wondering what on earth I had found to look at at this time of night with our fish and chips getting wet and cold. Eventually I discovered the error and radically changed direction announcing my mistake. That's when they all advised me how they knew that but thought I wanted to look at something. Why would I want to look at something at this time of night while our fish and chips was getting wet and cold? says I.

Trust or fear? Trust or fear? That is the million dollar question. Hmmm, I like to think trust personally. My sometimes Lovely Husband claims fear. Either way, it makes for a good laugh and I am sure my family will agree with me.

1 comment:

Swellbelle said...

When we were back home I cooked dinner one night for the family and good friend/house sitter from the city. That made 5 of us. I cooked a packet of vegie burgers, a 4 pack. After dropping hints and believing I had an alternate plan our friend, my Twisted Sister, was laughing when I placed the vegie burgers out on the 5 rolls. Oops, one short! The Young Negotiator was quick to volunteer to cook himself something else (not a big fan of vegetarian) and all was well. Am I that scary? I am obviously not running on all cylinders.