Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Family Holiday


We have just returned from a family holiday.....and survived. It was great actually. There is nothing nicer than a 17 year old lad and his 14 year old sister who are more than happy to spend quality time with their parents, and each other. I feel extremely privileged to still be appreciated by our teens.

We stayed in a very nice beach side apartment and played tourist but the best times for me was the card games, board games and the time spent in the car while traveling. We laughed, we were silly, we teased each other and most importantly we talked. Oh, and of course the Lovely Husband and I embarrassed them. The lift in the block of units was small and poky and when my love and I began smooching in front of our offspring (for effect) it sent them into fits of twisting and turning, covering eyes and groaning, begging us to stop. Mission accomplished! It was not all one way though.

One day we were stuck in traffic on a highway due to a major pile up involving five cars and a truck. We sat, motor off, for quite some time as you can imagine. My suggestion was "I Spy". It had not been played in our family since the children were small. Reluctantly, all agreed. Well, I Spy with teenagers is a little different apparently.

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with G"

It could be garden or gate right? No, the first word to come out of our daughter's mouth was gonorrhoea! What the? The teens thought that quite hilarious. It was a game of "Shock the Parents". Payback time!

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with D"

Maybe dog or driveway. Nope, our son shouts douche bag! It was on for young and old. There were many more words, not all so personal but just as obscure and it kept us highly amused while we waited out the traffic jam.

Unfortunately when the traffic was diverted from the highway we got hopelessly lost and a trip that was supposed to take 50 minutes turned into two hours. On the surface it seems like not a great part of the holiday but in actuality it was hilarious.

I honestly don't know where those kids get their twisted sense of humour from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Probably school friends :)