Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Amazing!

Our two African Lovebirds, Splice and Crepsley escaped recently when their cage went tumbling down the veranda steps. I was devastated. They flew in different directions and so were out in the wild separated as well. I could hear one of them in a nearby but very large tree. I left the cage outside with the door open hoping they would return but of course the cage crashing had been terrifying for them. That night we had the mother of all storms complete with torrential rain, thunder and lightening. My feelings of guilt and worry were now quite high. The next morning was overcast and rainy. Ever the optimist, I left the cage out, but the chances of them returning were extremely slim. When I returned from work at about 12.30pm here was my lovely Splice sitting in her cage. I was so excited! Poor thing was exhausted, hungry and had a scratch on her head. She ate and slept a lot but has bounced back remarkably well. Tough birds these. Unfortunately I think Crepsley is not returning so I will buy our girl another mate. She is pleased to be home with us but is probably missing having another bird for company. African lovebirds are aptly named.

I still can't believe she came back. She is not tame or affectionate with us but is relaxed with people. I guess it is all she has known.

No comments: